Progressive Web Apps for Drupal 8 - Reliable, Fast, Engaging.
What is PWA?
A Progressive Web App (PWA) is a web app that uses modern web capabilities to deliver an app-like experience to users. You can deploy your app as a PWA as well as Native app and take advantage of both channels. As far as features are concerned it means:
- offline, with total control over caching,
- OS integration,
- push notifications,
- background synchronization.
it’s important to keep up to date with innovations. Progressive Web Apps are a new way to deliver amazing user experiences on the web. I argue that PWA are:
Reliable - Load instantly even in uncertain network conditions.
Fast - Respond quickly to user interactions.
Engaging - Feel like a natural app on the device, with an immersive user experience.
This new level of quality earns Progressive Web Apps a place on the user's home screen just like a native app would.
But how do we integrate this awesomeness in Open Social, our Drupal 8 distribution, and even more importantly; how can you do it too?
Intended audience & takeaways
This talk is interesting for developers with a beginner to intermediate experience level. Since it’s all fairly new, there is no prior knowledge required on Progressive web apps.
In this session, I include instructions and demonstrations of topics including:
- Introduction to progressive web apps and the web app manifest
- Web push and the W3C Push API
- How Service workers work and an introduction to their basic architecture
- Insights on push events
- How we used the message module as a base
- The future and contributing back to Drupal so everybody can get a taste of this